The focus of this month’s E-zine is the NINIS Customer Survey Results
Results are now available for NINIS Customer Survey 2014. The results were very positive and provided some useful feedback which we intend to action over the next few months.
View full results here
Population and Migration Estimates Northern Ireland 2013
The latest Population and Migration Estimates for Northern Ireland were released on 26 June 2014.
- The Northern Ireland 2013 mid-year population is estimated to be 1.830 million people.
- Between July 2012 and June 2013 the number of people living in Northern Ireland increased by 6,100 people (+0.3%), the lowest level of population growth since 2000-1.
- The statistics also point to the continuing ageing of the population. Today around one person in ten is aged 70 or over, with 33,000 people are aged 85 or more. In the early 1970s, less than 10,000 people were aged 85 or more.
Deaths in Northern Ireland 2013
The statistics on the Deaths registered in 2013 were published on 30 June 2014.
- Just under 15,000 deaths were registered in Northern Ireland in 2013.
- Number of deaths in the older population continues to rise. Last year one in three deaths were people aged 85 plus, twice as many as 1983.
- As the population ages, deaths due to cancer or dementia are increasing. Last year 4,200 people died from cancer and 1,400 people died from dementia.
- Heart disease deaths continue to fall. Last year, 1,900 people died from ischaemic heart disease compared to 4,800 people thirty years ago.
- 303 suicides registered in 2013, the second highest number on record - only the 313 suicides registered in 2010 exceeded this.
Further information is available on the NISRA website.
Other NINIS Data
The Census 2001 Key Statistics, Standard Tables, Census Area Statistics and Univariate Tables were added to NINIS on 24 June 2014. All datasets can be found under the Census 2001 theme.
Northern Ireland Crime Survey data at Health and Social Care Trust (HSCT) level for 2012/13 has been added to the following datasets:
Anti-Social Behaviour: Perceptions of Crime,
Crime and Personal Safety,
Experience of Crime,
Fear of Crime
and Risk of Victimisation.
Other datasets updated with latest year data include
Life Expectancy at Birth and at Age 65,
Higher Education Qualifications,
Population Estimates - 5 year age bands (administrative geographies)
and Population Estimates - Single year of age (administrative geographies).
The next NINIS Workshop will take place in McAuley House on 3 July 2014 at 2pm. To register, visit the Workshops section of the NINIS website. There will be no NINIS Workshops held over the summer, although they will resume again in September 2014.