loading
tab2 1 tab2 2 tab2 3

Local Government District information for Dungannon

Click on the blue tabs to obtain information on an area profile. Click on the light blue tabs to see results for other geographical levels.

Print PDF
Area Profile Report
 
Created Friday, June 23, 2017 9:46 AM
 
Population Estimates for Dungannon Local Government District
The estimated population of Dungannon Local Government District at 30 June 2015 was 60,669, of which 30,520 (50.3%) were male and 30,149 (49.7%) were female.
 
This was made up of:
 
  • 14,191 children aged 0-15 years;
  • 20,271 people aged 16-39 years;
  • 18,197 people aged 40-64 years; and
  • 8,010 people 65 years and older.
Between 2005 and 2015 the population of Dungannon Local Government District increased by 10,160 people or 20.1%.
Table 1: Population Estimates by broad age bands, 2015
 
 
Dungannon
LGD
 
Northern Ireland
Total Population (2015)
60,669
 
1,851,621
 
Children (0-15 years)
14,191
 
385,200
 
Young Working Age (16-39 years)
20,271
 
583,116
 
Older Working Age (40-64 years)
18,197
 
591,481
 
Older (65+ years)
8,010
 
291,824
 
Population Change % (2005-2015)
20.1%
 
7.2%
 
Further Information:
 
Further information on Population Estimates including reports, methodolgy etc. can be found on the NISRA website.
 
Information on Components of Population Change and Migration are available on NINIS.
 
Interactive content is also available to view under the Population theme.
Profile last updated August 2016
 
 
Census 2011 Population Statistics for Dungannon Local Government District
This page provides information on the 2011 Census for Dungannon Local Government District. Click on the blue tabs at the top to see results for other geographical levels. Information has been grouped according to the Census themes. You can also view Census 2011 Interactive Content on NINIS.
Click on theme titles below to obtain an area profile for that subject. The datasets used are shown below each section.
 
 
Usually Resident Population
On Census Day (27 March 2011) the usually resident population of Dungannon Local Government District was 57,852 accounting for 3.19% of the NI total.
 
This represents a 21.19% increase since the 2001 Census. The table and chart below show how the age structure of the usually resident population in Dungannon Local Government District on Census Day has changed between 2001 and 2011.
Table 1: Age Structure of Usually Resident Population, 2001 and 2011 Census
 
2001
2011
Age Bands
(years)
Usual
Residents
%
Usual
Residents
%
0-15
12,315
 
25.80
 
13,385
 
23.14
 
16-39
16,373
 
34.30
 
20,256
 
35.01
 
40-64
13,088
 
27.42
 
17,039
 
29.45
 
65-84
5,401
 
11.31
 
6,336
 
10.95
 
85+
558
 
1.17
 
836
 
1.45
 
Overall
47,735
 
100
 
57,852
 
100
 
Top of Page
Population Change
The Mid-Year Estimates (MYE) of Population time series is the recommended source to examine population change over time. A new MYE time series, incorporating the 2011 Census, has now been published by NISRA and is available on NINIS. However, since both the 2001 and 2011 Censuses reflect the full population adjusted for census under-enumeration, a comparison of the 2001 and 2011 Censuses provide a robust measure of population change over the decade.
Top of Page
Households
On Census Day 2011 there were 57,462 people (99.33% of the usually resident population) living in 20,270 households, giving an average household size of 2.83. The remaining 390 people (0.67%) were living in communal establishments.
 
The table below shows how the household structure of the usually resident population on Census Day has changed between 2001 and 2011.
Table 2: Usual Residents and Households by Household Size, 2001 and 2011 Census
 
Usual Residents
Households
 
2001
2011
2001
2011
Household
Size
Number
%
Number
%
Number
%
Number
%
1
4,036
 
8.54
 
4,856
 
8.45
 
4,036
 
24.82
 
4,856
 
23.96
 
2
8,116
 
17.17
 
10,682
 
18.59
 
4,058
 
24.96
 
5,341
 
26.35
 
3
7,863
 
16.63
 
10,272
 
17.88
 
2,621
 
16.12
 
3,424
 
16.89
 
4
9,760
 
20.65
 
13,284
 
23.12
 
2,440
 
15.01
 
3,321
 
16.38
 
5+
17,497
 
37.01
 
18,368
 
31.97
 
3,104
 
19.09
 
3,328
 
16.42
 
Overall
47,272
 
100
 
57,462
 
100
 
16,259
 
100
 
20,270
 
100
 
Top of Page
Demography
On Census Day 27th March 2011, in Dungannon Local Government District:
 
  • 23.14% were aged under 16 years and 12.40% were aged 65 and over;
  • 50.07% of the usually resident population were male and 49.93% were female; and
  • 34 years was the average (median) age of the population.
Top of Page
Ethnicity, Identity, Language and Religion
On Census Day 27th March 2011, in Dungannon Local Government District, considering the resident population:
 
  • 2.10% were from an ethnic minority population and the remaining 97.90% were white (including Irish Traveller);
  • 64.11% belong to or were brought up in the Catholic religion and 33.03% belong to or were brought up in a 'Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related)' religion; and
  • 30.88% indicated that they had a British national identity, 38.76% had an Irish national identity and 27.08% had a Northern Irish national identity*.
 
*Respondents could indicate more than one national identity
 
On Census Day 27th March 2011, in Dungannon Local Government District, considering the population aged 3 years old and over:
 
  • 18.25% had some knowledge of Irish;
  • 4.81% had some knowledge of Ulster-Scots; and
  • 9.33% did not have English as their first language.
     
Top of Page
Health
On Census Day 27th March 2011, in Dungannon Local Government District:
 
  • 19.06% of people had a long-term health problem or disability that limited their day-to-day activities;
  • 81.06% of people stated their general health was either good or very good; and
  • 10.52% of people stated that they provided unpaid care to family, friends, neighbours or others.
     
Top of Page
Housing and Accommodation
On Census Day 27th March 2011, in Dungannon Local Government District:
 
  • 68.82% of households were owner occupied and 27.84% were rented;
  • 36.80% of households were owned outright;
  • 10.00% of households were comprised of a single person aged 65+ years;
  • 7.94% were lone parent households with dependent children; and
  • 16.01% of households did not have access to a car or van.
     
Top of Page
Qualifications
On Census Day 27th March 2011, considering the population aged 16 years old and over:
 
  • 21.17% had a degree or higher qualification; while
  • 41.79% had no or low (Level 1*) qualifications.
 
*Level 1 is 1-4 O Levels/CSE/GCSE (any grades) or equivalent
 
Top of Page
Labour Market
On Census Day 27th March 2011, considering the population aged 16 to 74 years old:
 
  • 67.48% were economically active, 32.52% were economically inactive;
  • 59.61% were in paid employment; and
  • 4.88% were unemployed, of these 41.65% were long-term unemployed*.
 
*Long-term unemployed are those who stated that they have not worked since 2009 or earlier
 
Top of Page
Further Information:
 
Further information on the terms used in this profile can be found in the Census 2011 Definitions and Output Classifications document.
Profile last updated January 2013
 
 
Deprivation Statistics for Dungannon Local Government District
Northern Ireland Multiple Deprivation Measure (NIMDM) 2010 area profiles are currently available on the NISRA website for the 26 Local Government Districts (LGDs). NISRA has recently been commissioned to initiate work to update this Measure with a view to publish results in mid-2017. See the NISRA website for further information on Deprivation.
 
NIMDM 2010 Summary Measures have been produced for the Local Government Districts. The Extent Score, Income Deprived Scale and Employment Deprived Scale for the Dungannon LGD are presented below.
 
Local Government Districts are ordered from most deprived to least deprived on each indicator of deprivation and then assigned a rank. The most deprived Local Government District is ranked 1, and as there are 26 districts, the least deprived Local Government District has a rank of 26. The deprivation values and rankings for Dungannon Local Government District are given in the table below.
 
Dungannon
value
Dungannon
rank
NI
value
Population (2008)
55,386
-
-
Extent
11%
12
18%
Number of people income deprived
14,002
11
-
Percentage of population income deprived
25%
9
25%
Number of people employment deprived
4,074
12
-
Percentage of working age population employment deprived
12%
12
13%
The Extent Score shows the percentage of an area's population living in the most deprived Super Output Areas (SOAs) in the country. It includes 100% of the people living in the top 10% most deprived SOAs plus a proportion of the population of those SOAs in the next two deciles. See Technical Annex of NIMDM 2010 Report for further details.

The Income and Employment Deprived Scales present the number of people who are identified as income or employment deprived in the Income and Employment Deprivation Domains at the LGD geographies. These values are also expressed as a rate of the total population and working age population resepectively for the Income and Employment Scale. For further information, see the
Technical Annex of NIMDM 2010 Report: Creating Summary Measures.
Further information:
 
 
See the NISRA website for further information on Deprivation.
Profile last updated February 2014