loading
tab2 1 tab2 2 tab2 3

Local Government District information for Omagh

Click on the blue tabs to obtain information on an area profile. Click on the light blue tabs to see results for other geographical levels.

Print PDF
Area Profile Report
 
Created Monday, April 12, 2021 4:16 PM
 
Population Estimates for Omagh Local Government District
The estimated population of Omagh Local Government District at 30 June 2019 was 53,116, of which 26,523 (49.9%) were male and 26,593 (50.1%) were female.
 
This was made up of:
 
  • 11,686 children aged 0-15 years;
  • 15,733 people aged 16-39 years;
  • 17,238 people aged 40-64 years; and
  • 8,459 people 65 years and older.
Between 2009 and 2019 the population of Omagh Local Government District increased by 2,401 people or 4.7%.
Table 1: Population Estimates by broad age bands, 2019
 
 
Omagh
LGD
 
Northern Ireland
Total Population (2019)
53,116
 
1,893,667
 
Children (0-15 years)
11,686
 
395,925
 
Young Working Age (16-39 years)
15,733
 
578,542
 
Older Working Age (40-64 years)
17,238
 
604,476
 
Older (65+ years)
8,459
 
314,724
 
Population Change % (2009-2019)
4.7%
 
5.6%
 
Datasets used: Population Estimates: Broad Age Bands (administrative geographies), NISRA Population Statistics
Further Information:
 
Further information on Population Estimates including reports, methodolgy etc. can be found on the NISRA website.
 
Information on Components of Population Change and Migration are available on NINIS.
 
Interactive content is also available to view under the Population theme.
Profile last updated June 2020
 
 
Census 2011 Population Statistics for Omagh Local Government District
This page provides information on the 2011 Census for Omagh Local Government District. Click on the blue tabs at the top to see results for other geographical levels. Information has been grouped according to the Census themes. You can also view Census 2011 Interactive Content on NINIS.
Click on theme titles below to obtain an area profile for that subject. The datasets used are shown below each section.
 
 
Usually Resident Population
On Census Day (27 March 2011) the usually resident population of Omagh Local Government District was 51,356 accounting for 2.84% of the NI total.
 
This represents a 7.10% increase since the 2001 Census. The table and chart below show how the age structure of the usually resident population in Omagh Local Government District on Census Day has changed between 2001 and 2011.
Table 1: Age Structure of Usually Resident Population, 2001 and 2011 Census
 
2001
2011
Age Bands
(years)
Usual
Residents
%
Usual
Residents
%
0-15
12,399
 
25.86
 
11,667
 
22.72
 
16-39
16,854
 
35.15
 
16,687
 
32.49
 
40-64
13,166
 
27.46
 
16,287
 
31.71
 
65-84
4,931
 
10.28
 
5,919
 
11.53
 
85+
602
 
1.26
 
796
 
1.55
 
Overall
47,952
 
100
 
51,356
 
100
 
Top of Page
Population Change
The Mid-Year Estimates (MYE) of Population time series is the recommended source to examine population change over time. A new MYE time series, incorporating the 2011 Census, has now been published by NISRA and is available on NINIS. However, since both the 2001 and 2011 Censuses reflect the full population adjusted for census under-enumeration, a comparison of the 2001 and 2011 Censuses provide a robust measure of population change over the decade.
Top of Page
Households
On Census Day 2011 there were 50,872 people (99.06% of the usually resident population) living in 18,443 households, giving an average household size of 2.76. The remaining 484 people (0.94%) were living in communal establishments.
 
The table below shows how the household structure of the usually resident population on Census Day has changed between 2001 and 2011.
Table 2: Usual Residents and Households by Household Size, 2001 and 2011 Census
 
Usual Residents
Households
 
2001
2011
2001
2011
Household
Size
Number
%
Number
%
Number
%
Number
%
1
4,020
 
8.58
 
4,892
 
9.62
 
4,020
 
24.93
 
4,892
 
26.52
 
2
7,746
 
16.53
 
9,682
 
19.03
 
3,873
 
24.02
 
4,841
 
26.25
 
3
7,944
 
16.95
 
8,697
 
17.10
 
2,648
 
16.42
 
2,899
 
15.72
 
4
10,612
 
22.64
 
11,720
 
23.04
 
2,653
 
16.45
 
2,930
 
15.89
 
5+
16,547
 
35.30
 
15,881
 
31.22
 
2,929
 
18.17
 
2,881
 
15.62
 
Overall
46,869
 
100
 
50,872
 
100
 
16,123
 
100
 
18,443
 
100
 
Top of Page
Demography
On Census Day 27th March 2011, in Omagh Local Government District:
 
  • 22.72% were aged under 16 years and 13.08% were aged 65 and over;
  • 49.99% of the usually resident population were male and 50.01% were female; and
  • 36 years was the average (median) age of the population.
Top of Page
Ethnicity, Identity, Language and Religion
On Census Day 27th March 2011, in Omagh Local Government District, considering the resident population:
 
  • 0.74% were from an ethnic minority population and the remaining 99.26% were white (including Irish Traveller);
  • 70.34% belong to or were brought up in the Catholic religion and 27.42% belong to or were brought up in a 'Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related)' religion; and
  • 28.59% indicated that they had a British national identity, 40.86% had an Irish national identity and 32.70% had a Northern Irish national identity*.
 
*Respondents could indicate more than one national identity
 
On Census Day 27th March 2011, in Omagh Local Government District, considering the population aged 3 years old and over:
 
  • 16.27% had some knowledge of Irish;
  • 4.89% had some knowledge of Ulster-Scots; and
  • 3.16% did not have English as their first language.
     
Top of Page
Health
On Census Day 27th March 2011, in Omagh Local Government District:
 
  • 21.76% of people had a long-term health problem or disability that limited their day-to-day activities;
  • 78.62% of people stated their general health was either good or very good; and
  • 11.14% of people stated that they provided unpaid care to family, friends, neighbours or others.
     
Top of Page
Housing and Accommodation
On Census Day 27th March 2011, in Omagh Local Government District:
 
  • 69.86% of households were owner occupied and 26.73% were rented;
  • 39.44% of households were owned outright;
  • 10.63% of households were comprised of a single person aged 65+ years;
  • 7.16% were lone parent households with dependent children; and
  • 17.07% of households did not have access to a car or van.
     
Top of Page
Qualifications
On Census Day 27th March 2011, considering the population aged 16 years old and over:
 
  • 23.48% had a degree or higher qualification; while
  • 42.17% had no or low (Level 1*) qualifications.
 
*Level 1 is 1-4 O Levels/CSE/GCSE (any grades) or equivalent
 
Top of Page
Labour Market
On Census Day 27th March 2011, considering the population aged 16 to 74 years old:
 
  • 64.52% were economically active, 35.48% were economically inactive;
  • 56.82% were in paid employment; and
  • 4.92% were unemployed, of these 46.79% were long-term unemployed*.
 
*Long-term unemployed are those who stated that they have not worked since 2009 or earlier
 
Top of Page
Further Information:
 
Further information on the terms used in this profile can be found in the Census 2011 Definitions and Output Classifications document.
Profile last updated January 2013